Applications for English language assistants in France [fr]
Applications for English-speaking language assistants for the 2019-2020 French school year are opened until 20 December 2019.
If you would like the opportunity to explore France, improve your French language skills, share your knowledge and experience with students, and want to make the most of your O.E.... then the assistantship programme is for you!
• You must be a New Zealand citizen (permanent residents are not eligible).
• Candidates must be between 20 and 35 years of age at the time of taking up their positions.
• Candidates must have completed their secondary education and university studies in New Zealand.
• Candidates must be enrolled in university studies on the date of application and have completed at least two years of university studies.
• Candidates require a minimum level of B1 in French as defined by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. You must be a native English speaker.
Language assistants work with teachers at the host school to provide pedagogical support. They help students to practice the target language within and outside the classroom. They facilitate the study of culture and, generally-speaking, aim to interest students and teachers in the language and culture of New Zealand. Language assistants may work directly with the teacher in that teacher’s classroom, lead different activities with a small group of students, or facilitate activities outside of class time, with the presence of the class teacher.
Language assistants can help the teacher run their class by contributing to the organisation of various activities: excursions, exchanges, exhibitions, theatre sports, publishing a newspaper, coordinating a pen pal programme, setting up a club, creating educational resources, etc.
At any rate, the assistant’s valuable contribution and well-considered initiatives will be both appreciated and encouraged.
Contract duration: Seven months from 1st October 2020 until 30 April 2021. Except in exceptional circumstances, the candidate may not reduce the term nor modify the dates. Assistants are to take holidays at the same time as the French students and their teachers.
As an English language assistant in France, you will spend 12 hours a week teaching at primary or secondary schools. This time may be split between two different schools.
Remuneration: Currently the net salary of an assistant posted in France is 795 euros a month.
Social security: Assistants are eligible to receive free health coverage throughout the contracted term.
Your visa (free of charge) will allow you to travel. After meeting many people from different backgrounds, discovering a new country, another culture and improving your French, you’ll be planning your next trip to France before you even arrive home!
We will advise you of the results of your application in May or June 2020. The successful candidates are invited to make a visa appointment on or after 1 July 2020.
Download the application form, fill it out and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will confirm receipt of your application. Please note that we cannot accept applications by post.
Applications must include the following, along with the scanned application form:
1. An ID photo affixed to your application form in the allocated space
2. A copy of your academic transcripts and degrees obtained (if applicable)
3. A copy of the medical form (Page 9 of the application form)
4. A copy of your passport photo page (the passport must be valid until December after your posting ends)
5. Two teacher appraisals (Pages 7-8 of the application form) – the appraisals must be signed by the teachers and bear the university stamp
6. A copy of your criminal convictions issued no more than three months prior to date of application (for further information, see the Ministry of Justice website)
7. Applicants with dependent minors must complete this attestation (pdf, 28kb, in French)
If selected, you will be contacted to confirm your participation in the programme. If you are no longer able to participate, a candidate from the waiting list will be selected.
Please note: Cancellation of participation after 30 June 2020, except for valid medical or family reasons (certificate required) will disqualify the candidate from applying the following year.
For further information about the assistantship programme, see our FAQs or see the Guide de l’Assistant (in French) and the English translation of the ‘Before Leaving’ section. If after reading these resources you still have unanswered questions about the language assistant programme, please write to: email@example.com
Any questions regarding the procedure may also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of the Educational Cooperation Assistant.
Further information will be made available once the selection has been made.
While teaching English in France, you could also undertake training to teach French!
Read the 2019-2020 edition of the Language Assistant’s Guide (in French):