Become an English language assistant in New Caledonia [fr]
Applications for the 2020 assistantship programme in New Caledonia are open.
Apply online before 31 October 2019 for a posting starting in March 2020!
If you would like the opportunity to explore New Caledonia, improve your French language skills, share your knowledge and experience with students, and want to make the most of your O.E.... then the assistantship program is for you!
- You must be a New Zealand citizen (permanent residents are not eligible). ***
- Candidates must have completed their secondary education and university studies in New Zealand.
- Candidates must be between 20 and 35 years of age at the time of taking up their positions.
- Candidates must be enrolled in university studies on the date of application and have completed at least two years of university studies.
- Candidates may be recently graduated.
- Candidates require a minimum level of B1 in French as defined by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Candidates should preferably be single, as the salary of an assistant is not adequate to support dependents.
As an English language assistant in New Caledonia, you will spend 12 hours a week teaching at a primary or secondary school. You will earn approximately 1529 € per month. Your role will be to use interactive activities to improve your students’ confidence when speaking English. Students will expect you to introduce them to the Kiwi culture.
Download the forms below, fill them out and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will confirm receipt of your application. Please note that we cannot accept applications by post.
General information about the assistantship programme in New Caledonia (in French)
Instructions on how to apply and application form (in French)
Medical form (in English)
Teachers appraisals forms (1 & 2)
Applications must include:
1. Scanned application form
2. An ID photo affixed to your application form in the allocated space
3. A copy of your university transcripts and degrees obtained (if applicable)
4. A copy of the medical form (p. 9 of the application form)
5. A copy of your passport photo page (the passport must be valid until December after your posting ends)
6. Two teacher appraisals (Pages 7-8 of the application form) – the appraisals must be signed by the teachers and bear the university stamp.
7. A copy of your criminal convictions issued within last three months of your application (for further information, see the Ministry of Justice website)
Advantages of taking part in the assistantship programme in New Caledonia:
1) Alongside their teaching work, English language assistants can enrol at the University of New Caledonia (UNC - Noumea), study papers and obtain credits (with the authorisation of the university they attend in New Zealand). Enrolment is free for students from UNC’s sister universities (the universities of Auckland and Waikato).
2) If English language assistants choose to study at UNC, they will have access to the university’s facilities: university restaurant, library, computers. In certain cases, they are also eligible to receive assistance when looking for accommodation.
For further information about studying at UNC, please visit the university’s website.
See the Frequently Asked Questions for the programme to France, keeping in mind that the information specific to France does not necessarily apply to New Caledonia. If you have any further enquiries about the assistantship programme, please contact email@example.com