Call for Artistic Proposals – Nature’s Interpreter
The Embassy of France in New Zealand is proud to present the first Franco-Kiwi edition of La Nuit des Idées – the Night of Ideas – a worldwide annual event first launched in 2017 by the Institut Français, bringing together philosophers, scientists, sociologists, psychologists, legal experts and artists to discuss some of today’s most significant issues.
The global theme for 2019 will be “Facing the Present”, and in New Zealand there will be a particular focus on the relationship between Humankind and Nature, the latter including all plant and animal species. At nightfall on the 31st of January 2019 in the Wellington Botanic Garden, the discussion will begin. Throughout the evening, there will be different sorts of artistic representations, presentations from a number of guest speakers and panel discussions.
So where do you fit into all of this?
Well, Nature can’t speak for itself, right? At least not in a language that (all) humans can understand. So we are looking for artists who are truly capable of using their art forms to capture the essence of what is really at stake vis-à-vis Humankind’s interaction with the natural environment. We need artists capable of properly giving a voice to nature, of providing insight to a human audience.
If you believe that you can contribute to this important dialogue, that you have what it takes to be Nature’s Interpreter, and if you are free on the 31st of January 2019, we would be delighted to hear from you!
Applicants must be aware of the following:
• Please provide a clear description of your artistic representation, explaining especially your artistic contribution to the discussion on the relationship between Humankind and Nature. Examples of previous projects/presentations would be beneficial
• We are looking for multiple (2-5) artistic representations (various art forms), and the number of applicants chosen will depend on time constraints
• Given the context and the location, we are taking a minimalist approach for sound and stage equipment, which means that we may not be able to provide certain equipment
• Acts or artistic presentations must keep noise level at a reasonable level (and absolutely no music permitted after 10pm)
• Performance or presentation will be remunerated
Send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 20 November 2018
Date of selection: 30 November 2018