Children (under 21) and spouse of EU citizen visa

If you are married to an EU citizen and your nationality is not among those listed at the top of this page, you must apply for this visa.

If you are married to an EU citizen and your nationality is among those listed at the top of this page (including New Zealand), you must request a carte de séjour from your local préfecture within three months of arriving in France.

Please note:

As the application process includes taking a photo and the ten fingerprints of each applicant, it is not possible to send in a visa application via the post. This also applies to residents of Samoa and the Cook Islands.

Make an appointment

- One appointment must be made for each passport holder. Applicants will need to make an appointment during the opening hours of the Consulate of France : 9.15 am to 1.15 pm, Monday to Friday.
Applicants will not be admitted to the Consulate if they do not have an appointment.

To lodge your application, you are required to book an appointment via the online booking system, without exception. No booking will be completed at the Consular section in Wellington or by phone.
Please click here to book an appointment.
If applicants are unable to attend an appointment they should amend or cancel it.

Important information

If you hold an EU passport, you are not required to apply for a visa to live in France.
However, if you intend to work in France, you will need to apply for a “carte de séjour” at the nearest Prefecture when you arrive in France.

Please note that this visa does not apply to people in a de facto relationship or to people who have a French Civil Union (PACS) or any other European Union Civil Union. If you are not married to a citizen of the European Union, you have to apply for a long stay visa for France or New Caledonia and French Polynesia.

List of documents required to apply

  • Completed and signed long stay visa application form.
  • One recent passport photograph,
  • Passport + photocopy of the ID page
  • Original + copy of your marriage certificate. If you got married overseas, a translation/transcription of your marriage certificate into EU local law (if necessary)
  • Original +copy of the EU spouse’s passport
  • Proof of your establishment in France (address in France /work contract)
  • Travel itinerary,
  • A pre-paid courier envelope with the applicant’s address provided for return of passport.
    NB: This visa is free of charge.

Please note: As applications must be sent (by post) to Noumea for authorisation, applicants for New Caledonia must provide a pre-paid courier envelope for postage overseas in their application. Applications for French Polynesia are sent to Papeete for authorisation electronically. Therefore applications for French Polynesia do not need to include a pre-paid courier envelope for postage overseas in their application.

How long will the application take to process?

- From the date we receive your application, we require a minimum of four weeks to process it.

- It is your responsibility to provide us with a complete application.

- If any documents are missing from your application, it is highly likely that your visa will not be granted.

Dernière modification : 21/11/2018

top of the page