EU citizen spouse visa

Please note:

As the application process includes taking a photo and the ten fingerprints of each applicant, it is not possible to send in a visa application via the post. This also applies to residents of Samoa and the Cook Islands.
Each applicant aged 12 years and over must travel to Wellington to apply for their visa in person.
The only exception applies to applicants of visas for African countries. Applicants for these visas are not required to apply in person at the Consulate of France.

Make an appointment

- One appointment must be made for each passport holder. Applicants will need to make an appointment during the opening hours of the Consulate of France : 9.15 am to 1.15 pm, Monday to Friday.
Applicants will not be admitted to the Consulate if they do not have an appointment.

To lodge your application, you are required to book an appointment via the online booking system, without exception. No booking will be completed at the Consular section in Wellington or by phone.
Please click here to book an appointment.
If applicants are unable to attend an appointment they should amend or cancel it.

Important information

The foreign spouse (and children - under 21) of a non French citizen who comes from a country that is part of the European Union are not required to apply for a visa to live in France with their spouse in order to obtain a residency permit carte de séjour.

You only require this visa if you intend to work in France.

Please note that this visa does not apply to people in a de facto relationship or to people who have a French Civil Union (PACS) or any other European Union Civil Union. If you are not married to a citizen of the European Union, you have to apply for a long stay visa for France or New Caledonia and French Polynesia.

List of documents required to apply

  • Completed and signed long stay visa application form.
  • One recent passport photograph,
  • Passport,
  • Marriage certificate issued by a registrar. If the certificate is not in English or French, you must also provide an official translation. Marriage certificates issued by religious authorities will not be accepted.
  • European Union spouse’s passport,
  • Travel itinerary,
  • A pre-paid courier envelope with the applicant’s address provided for return of passport.
    NB: This visa is free of charge.

Please note: As applications must be sent (by post) to Noumea for authorisation, applicants for New Caledonia must provide a pre-paid courier envelope for postage overseas in their application. Applications for French Polynesia are sent to Papeete for authorisation electronically. Therefore applications for French Polynesia do not need to include a pre-paid courier envelope for postage overseas in their application.

How long will the application take to process?

- From the date we receive your application, we require a minimum of four weeks to process it.

- It is your responsibility to provide us with a complete application.

- If any documents are missing from your application, it is highly likely that your visa will not be granted.

Dernière modification : 04/09/2015

top of the page