Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I would like to apply for an internship at the French Embassy in New Zealand. What procedure should I follow?

A: The Bureau des Stages of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Paris deals with applications for internships. Before you can submit an application for an internship, you must check that your university has an agreement with the Ministry.
All applications must be sent directly to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Please do not send your application to the Embassy.

Please note: All applications must be in response to an advertised vacancy.
Click here->https://pastel.diplomatie.gouv.fr/tdstageoffre/index.asp] to see all vacancies.

Q: How do I enrol my children at a school in New Zealand?

A: There are no French schools in this country. However, two primary schools offer bilingual education in Auckland:

- Richmond Road School
- Birkdale Primary School

To find out more, contact the association FRENZ in charge of the two bilingual units:
Email address: contact@frenzschool.org.nz
Website: www.frenzschool.org.nz
Telephone Number: + 64 (09) 446 0909.

In other parts of the country and for intermediate and high school classes, foreign children can only be enrolled in New Zealand schools where they will be taught in English.
If children are enrolled in New Zealand, they are still eligible to sit the Brevet des Collèges and Baccalauréat exams in Australia. Please contact the Cultural Section of the French Embassy in Australia for further information.
For more information about the education system in New Zealand, please visit the Ministry of Education’s website.
To help you to choose a school for your children, visit the website http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools. It will provide you with:
- a report on all New Zealand schools
- a ranking of schools by decile (decile 1 : lowest socioeconomic ranking ; decile 10 : highest socioeconomic ranking)
- links to the websites of most listed schools. The individual school websites will provide you with more specific information about the school in question. For example, most websites will specify how much their enrolment fees are - these vary from one school to the next. All schools apply higher fees to foreign students. In 2006, the average school fee for a foreign student was:

  • 8956 NZD for primary schools
  • 11237 NZD for intermediate and high-schools
    (Some schools have English classes available to newcomers.)

Q: I am looking for a position as a French teacher in New Zealand, how can I find a job?

A: In order to teach French in New Zealand, you have to have your qualifications accredited by the New Zealand authorities.
The organisation responsible for this is the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority evaluates whether or not your prior education and experience meet the New Zealand criteria. If they do, it is then up to the New Zealand Teachers Council to grant you a teaching permit number. This is valid for two years and can only be renewed if you have been teaching in New Zealand. If not the permit may be cancelled and you will have to apply for it again.

You can also find detailed information about teaching in New Zealand here. And please be sure to consult the Ministry of Immigration’s website.

French teachers can also enquire at New Zealand’s Alliances Françaises – in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington.

Dernière modification : 26/07/2018

top of the page