New Zealanders working as crew members on (private) yachts in France

The information below serves as a guide only to determine whether a visa is required or not to work on yachts based in France. If you have any questions relating to this, please contact the visa section [information.wellington-amba[a]], or if you are in France, your local Préfecture de Police.

- If the vessel is not registered in France, crew members do not need a work visa.

- If the vessel is registered in France, a work visa is required. The visa is usually issued for up to 90 days and must be obtained from the visa section prior to arrival (and work) in France.
If the crew member is in France already, the work permit must be requested from the nearest office of the Direction Départementale du Travail, although this process may be more onerous and take longer.

- Where the vessel (and crew) remains in France for longer than 90 days without sailing on: If the vessel is not registered in France but is moored and remains in France, the crew member requires a visitor visa. If the boat is registered in France and is moored and remains in France, a work visa is required.

- The main point for New Zealand passport holders working as crew and who do not hold a long stay visa for France is to ensure an exit stamp is obtained in their passport each time they leave France. In the event of a border control, it should be much easier to prove that they have spent less than 90 days in a six month period in France.

- Crew members aged between 18 and 30 years may wish to consider obtaining a one-off Working Holiday Visa from the Embassy of France prior to leaving New Zealand to avoid having to worry about the need for a visa for 12 months.

Dernière modification : 21/11/2018

top of the page