Short stay visa for New Caledonia, French Polynesia and Wallis and Futuna
As the application process includes taking a photo and the ten fingerprints of each applicant, it is not possible to send in a visa application via the post.
This also applies to residents of Samoa and the Cook Islands.
Each applicant aged 12 years and over must travel to Wellington to apply for their visa in person.
T- he only exception applies to applicants of visas for African countries. Applicants for these visas are not required to apply in person at the Consulate of France.
One appointment must be made for each passport holder. Applicants will need to make an appointment during the opening hours of the Consulate of France : 9.15 am to 1.15 pm, Monday to Friday.
Applicants will not be admitted to the Consulate if they do not have an appointment.
If applicants are unable to attend an appointment they should amend or cancel it.
New Zealand passport holders and citizens of the following countries in the Asia and South Pacific region planning on visiting New Caledonia, French Polynesia and Wallis and Futuna do NOT require a visa for a stay of up to 90 days:
Australia, Brunei, Kiribati, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Tonga and Tuvalu.
NB: No visa is required for citizens of Fiji and Papua New Guinea travelling to New Caledonia for up to 90 days in any six month period and who do not intend to work during their stay.
However, upon entry to the French Territories, you may be asked to provide the following: proof of accomodation, proof of financial support and proof of subscription to travel and repatriation insurance for the entire duration of stay.
Chinese passport holders who are legal residents of New Zealand, whose voyage to French Polynesia has been organized by an agency approved by Atout France, do not require a visa for a stay of up to 14 days.
Please note: Currently, no travel agencies in New Zealand or Australia are approved by Atout France.
Agencies which are approved by Atout France in the future will be listed on this website.
If you have any doubts about whether or not you need a visa, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
List of documents required to apply:
- Completed and signed short stay application form,
- One recent passport photograph,
- Passport (valid for least three months after your return date)
+ a photocopy of the photo page of your passport
- Itinerary from a travel agency detailing exact dates of travel or booked flights. If you are travelling by yacht, please attach a letter from the ship’s captain that provides the itinerary and dates of the trip. It will also need to state the Captain’s responsibility for crew members.
- Evidence of social or professional circumstances (pay slip, work certificate from your employer, student card, certificate of school or university attendance, retirement pension…),
- Evidence of annual leave granted from your employer,
- Evidence of accomodation in the country (hotel booking, lease, proof of ownership or attestation d’accueil (an official form that explains that friends or family will provide accommodation for you.) Your contacts in the country must obtain this form from their local city council and send the original to the Consulate of France in Wellington.
- Applicants under 18 travelling with or without their parents need to provide a letter signed by both their parents authorising their child to travel in the country. The full name and address of the person responsible for the child during the trip has to be mentioned in the letter.
- Bank statement or proof of financial support for the duration of stay,
- Proof of subscription to insurance (covering unlimited medical expenses and repatriation for entire duration of stay),
- A pre-paid courier envelope with the applicant’s address provided for return of passport,
- Short stay visa fees. Please click here for the latest visa fees. Please note that visa fees must be paid in cash.
How long will the application take to process:
From the date we receive your application, we require a minimum of 15 full working days to process it.
It is your responsibility to provide us with a complete application.
If any documents are missing from your application, it is highly likely that your visa will not be granted.