Visa to marry a French citizen in France
As the application process includes taking a photo and the ten fingerprints of each applicant, it is not possible to send in a visa application via the post. This also applies to residents of Samoa and the Cook Islands.
Each applicant aged 12 years and over must travel to Wellington to apply for their visa in person.
The only exception applies to applicants of visas for African countries. Applicants for these visas are not required to apply in person at the Consulate of France.
One appointment must be made for each passport holder. Applicants will need to make an appointment during the opening hours of the Consulate of France : 9.15 am to 1.15 pm, Monday to Friday.
Applicants will not be admitted to the Consulate if they do not have an appointment.
Please click here to book an appointment.
If applicants are unable to attend an appointment they should amend or cancel it.
This visa enables the applicant to get married/hold their wedding in France. It does not give them the right to live and work in France.
Please note that people who wish to get a French Civil Union (PACS) are not eligible to apply for this visa. If you wish to get a French Civil Union (PACS), you will require a long stay visa for France.
- Completed and signed long stay visa application form.
- Completed and signed OFII Form,
- One recent passport photograph,
- Proof of financial stability, i.e. personal bank statement,
- Your future spouse’s passport or national identity card,
- Completed and signed certificat de publication des bans et de non opposition. This will need to be sent by the City Council Mairie in France where the wedding will take place to the Consulate of France in Wellington.
- Original of Certificate of Board and Lodging Attestation d’Accueil. The family of your future French spouse will need to obtain this from its local City Council Mairie in France (form Cerfa n°10798*02) and send it to you. We can not accept photocopies or faxes of this form.
- Proof of the future French spouse’s accommodation in France ,
- Proof of subscription to travel insurance,
- A copy of your criminal record to be obtained from the Ministry of Justice,
- Travel itinerary or booked flights (this must include your date of arrival in France),
- Long stay visa fees. Please click here for the latest visa fees. Please note that visa fees are to be paid in cash.
- Pre-paid courier envelope with the applicant’s address provided for return of passport.
From the date we receive your application, we require a minimum of four weeks to process it.
It is your responsibility to provide us with a complete application.
If any documents are missing from your application, it is highly likely that your visa will not be granted.